vrijdag 11 december 2015

Getting Work.... why is it so difficult?

As you may or may not know, I'm a 32 year old man. Yes, I am a man, I've checked it this morning. I am Dutch, and I speak and write in two languages (English and Dutch), which might appear to be an advantage for me to find a job suitable for me in the UK. I've been on the hunt for a long time, and yet I am unsuccesful. It's devastating and quite frankly painful to be rejected each and every time, mainly because there are too many people applying for the same job. I always receive the same e-mail, in which it says that 'we are sorry bla bla bla.... unsuccesful bla bla'. How come? What made them think that I'm not the most capable person for this job? Just by looking at my CV? My CV is just a sheet of paper on which bits and bobs are written down, but if you give me a chance to explain who I am and what I'm capable of, this sheet of paper becomes useless.

Don't get me wrong, I have been to interviews, and came far, but sadly never hired. One of the jobs I've applied for had 30,000 people applying for it, so I didn't stand a chance. There were people who knew exactly what to expect during the whole business, and even the role play bit. I was not ready for a role play part, and I failed on that. Disappointed as I was, I never got the answer why I failed. But that didn't stop me from sending out e-mails, applying as much as I can. Every day I send my CV to so many people, and yet they always reply by sending a standard e-mail back.

Sometimes I do get a phone call, and I'm happy as a bunny. I always explain my situation, and the main reason why I want to move over to the UK. Not to claim any benefits or do anything illegal/stupid, but to work there, live there, pay my taxes, and basically become a UK citizen (in the future). My wife's British, born and raised in London, and we've been together for 7 years and a bit (don't ask me how long, I am a man). English has always been a second language to me, and I've been in love with everything British since the first time I came over for a holiday. I am in love, truly in love. I am willing to leave my family and friends behind, and start a new life in the UK. Yes, it is scary, but manageable (or however you spell it!).

I've had phone calls, e-mails, and when they do not respond or call at all after they've agreed to do an interview on the phone, it makes me wonder: is there any hope left? I've had phone calls with people who barely spoke any English at all, and I had to end the conversation due to the fact that I could not understand a single word. I speak English much better than most people do (who are from abroad, like I am), and yet it's not easy. Is it because I'm Dutch? What is it? Am I too polite?

I've been working for the last 14-15 years for the same employee, and not many people can say that in this day and age. Yes, I'm risking it all, but I know it's going to be worth it. If you are reading this and you are thinking of giving me a chance, you know what to do. Contact me or let me contact you. I have never been a disappointment at all, never been ill/sick and have no criminal record. Yes I have had speeding tickets in the past, but who hasn't? That's not criminal, isn't it?

I will find the perfect job suitable for me. No call centre stuff, because I'm already annoyed when people from call centres call me. But something else. I will find it. You just have to be patient enough with me, I will write rants on Facebook and Twitter about companies who do not contact me or reply anymore, without going into any details. I will remain nice and polite, but deep down inside I will be furious. Be kind and do not think I'm a horrible person, I am nice. But steam has to go somewhere, hasn't it?

Oh, if you want to know my personal strengths: I am the best employee you will ever encounter. One strength enough to last you a lifetime.




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten